photo 1-home-1.jpg photo 2-about.jpg photo 3-sponsor.jpg photo 4-faq.jpg
 photo header.jpg

Thursday 4 November 2010

Christmas Crafts :: Chic Garland


Aloha Bloggerinos,

With winter well and truly here (as I type, my windows are about to be blown in by gale force winds and also, veering of course a bit here, my 60 something year old neighbours are having some shockingly loud 'couple time' if you get my jist- erlack), I felt it time to crack open the craft box and get busy.

As previously mentioned, I am currently rich in time but poor in mula, so this Christmas is going to be inspired by vintage, handmade and upcycling- very fashionable dontchya know? I've set myself the challenge of using up all the copious supplies I have and will not, not, NOT go to HobbyCraft under any circumstances!!

So, one of the first things I have made was inspired by my Ideal Homes (I think) Christmas magazine which Matt bought me at an M6 service station, I do love that man. Basically, it's a paper garland that you can adapt to however you like and hang pretty much anywhere- versatile oui??

I would described the skill level of this project as- superduper basic. A monkey could do it I would think.

Photobucket

What you need:
1. Paper. I used paper from a music book jobby that I bought at a charity shop last year (gawd knows why). 2. Scissors/Stamp cutter. I already have a circle and heart cutter from HobbyCraft, but you could just use scissors to cut whatever shape you like. I suggest using a template for accuracy though.
3. Ribbon or string cut to whatever length you want your garland (remember to leave a little bit at each end to loop or hook.
4. Glue. I used kiddy type PVA, just because that's what I found first :)
5. Gems/Glitter/Embellishments. This is optional. I used hot pink crystals. Ohh yeeaah.

Photobucket

Cut/stamp out your shapes. I went for circle and then heart alternatively. Next time I'll do just hearts but you live and learn.

Photobucket

Squeeze out your glue into something. That pot is an old nailvarnish wipe pot. You seeeee crafts and cosmetics go hand in hand. Ho ho.

Photobucket

On one side schmear (mm love that word sscchhmmeeaarr) you glue and lay the ribbon/string on it. Then, take another shape of the exact same size and lay it on top, to make a ribbon/strong sandwich if you will.

Photobucket

To add a bit of festive sparkle, embellish however you fancy. I stuck on little gems. I used the end of a plastic fork to splot the glue on so that I could make a small gem sized blob and prevent a glue related nightmare!

Photobucket

Leave to dry and voila, a very unique garland that you can hang from the tree, mantelpiece, banister or wherever you fancy. You could also adapt this for other occasions- pink hearts on red ribbon for Valentines, orange pumpkin shapes on green ribbon for Halloween etc. I may even make some for the nursery in girly shapes and colours of boyish ones. It's a nice easy project that you need very little for. Super.

If you would like to buy a kit for £3.50 (inc P&P anywhere) pop your paypal email in the comment box and I will send it out to you. Kit will include 32 hearts or circles or a mixtures (please specify) which is enough for 16 shapes on the garland, 100 crystals in clear (which is enough for 6-7 on each shape) and 125cm of fairy pink wrapping ribbon (you know like the type you can curl). All you'd need to sort out yourself is your glue, and voila- Your Own Chic Garland Project Kit :)

What do you think? Is this something you might try?

Toodlepip!

xx

15 comments:

  1. Eugh! Old people + "Couple time" = total gross out!

    Awesome idea and the end result is soo pretty! I'm seriously lazy when it comes to anything "crafty" but I reckon even I could definitely give this a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just brilliant! I'm loving the whole 'upcycling' trend at the moment and think I may have a go at this (easy enough even for me! lol) x

    http://thegirlieblogger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so lovely! Definintely gonna be digging around and making some myself. Spanks, Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Something I would definitely try (if I didnt feel bad for doing soemthing else when I should be doing uni work) :(
    It looks fab
    Sam
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i love this thanks for sharing xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great idea! I really love the idea of using music book paper! Thanks for sharing :D x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure how you feel about blog awards but I thought I would give you one :)

    It's the "Versatile Blogger" award. I think your blog has many different and interesting things!

    You can find the link to your award here:
    http://meowcake.blogspot.com/2010/11/blog-award-versatile-blogger-7-facts.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pssst! Beauty Bloggers! Moncarlino Giveaway:
    5 randomly selected winners will receive a full-size bottle of Moncarlino and ONE lucky winner will receive a 6-MONTH SUPPLY!
    http://bit.ly/9Aoem2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thats extremele innovative and sure I'd love to give it a shot! :)
    Love the blog :)
    XX

    Check out my blog? http://fortheloveoffashionandotherthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww that looks lovely! wish i had the time to do something like this!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea!!! LOVE this...might have to give it a try! I am a new follower...and I LOVE your blog!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have recently started a web site, the info you provide on this website has helped me tremendously. Thanks for all of your time & work.
    bathing suit bottoms uk

    ReplyDelete

  13. Also, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Chrome. Superb Blog!

    ReplyDelete

  14. Hi, happy that i saw on this in google. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comment!
Sprinkleofglitter xxx

 photo newer.jpg  photo older.jpg  photo homebot.jpg