photo 1-home-1.jpg photo 2-about.jpg photo 3-sponsor.jpg photo 4-faq.jpg
 photo header.jpg

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Christmas Crafts :: Fabric Brooches/Corsages

Aloha Bloggerinos,

With Christmas around the corner (46 festive nights away to be precise), Santa (aka, me) is busy busy in his workshop, crafting all sorts of lovely gifts.

Photobucket

These corsages are so easy to make and require very basic sewing skills.

What you will need:

1. A few different colours of synthetic material. It HAS to be synthetic to make the edges curl, more on this later. I picked my sheer organza type fabric up from a place called Abakhans in Liverpool. If you live in scouseland, I strongly suggest you check this place out. It's an Aladdin's cave of bargainous craft stuff, everything you can imagine :)

2. A candle and matches/lighter.

3. Scissors.

4. Needle and thread.

5. Safety pin or brooch back. (I used a safety pin as I had these to hand).

6. Embellishments. I used assorted glass beads and a few flat faux pearls. You could use buttons, sequins, beads, stick on gems or anything jazzy that you can get your hands on. Don't go crazy spending money if you can't, this is the perfect opportunity to use the bits of that broken necklace or old buttons.

Photobucket

How to make your corsage:

1. Cut out varying sizes of circles from your materials. The more circles you use, the fuller your brooch will look. I usually go for about five circles, but it is entirely up to you. Cut the circles by eye, you're going to be curling the edges so no need for total accuracy here.

2. Melt the edges of your circles over a lit candle. This is quite easy but its best to have a couple of trials first. You want to just run the fabric through the flame to create a curled edge and enhance the petal-like effect.

Photobucket

3. Stack the petals on top of each other in size order until it looks how you want it. It should now look corsagey.

4. Using your needle and thread, pop a few stitches through the centre of the corsage to tie all the petals together.

5. Sew/glue on your chosen embellishments.

6. Sew/glue on your safety pin.

This project is great as it's so versatile and can be kept basic for beginners or jushed up a bit for a more advanced crafter. You can go to town with embellishments, colours, layers and textures. Why not incorporate bows or feathers?

Photobucket

These will now be carefully wrapped, sent to Father Christmas and dropped down my Aunties chimneys. Lovely.

Is this something you have, or might in the future try? If you have any questions, do let me know :)

Toodlepip!

xx

12 comments:

  1. These are so goregous, you're such a domestic goddess haha!
    My lovely Lou, I am so so so so so so happy for you! You are going to be the most amazing mum and I know your little girl will be spoilt rotten with all of your crafty habbits and love for glitter and sparkly girly things!
    I cant wait for her to come so we can meet her on your blog! Im so excited for you eeee
    Loads of Love!
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little button in the middle of the corsage looks like a beetle. :))

    Your child is going to have so much fun doing arts and crafts with you! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK....this is a crazy cute project and I have soooo much organza and tulle in my studio that I can't wait to try this!!! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look awesome! I reckon my kid sister would have such fun making these cos she's much more "crafty" than I'll ever be. Love the colours you've gone for - très pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely missus. I might just try this as I like to have pretty and useable things to decorate christmas presents with :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a total inspiration! I'm seriously STUCK for cash this christmas but I don't think I could trust myself to make decent homemade gifts! Congrats on the baby girl! She's gonna be the most glittery little princess in the world! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love them! I can make room decorations! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutley love that you make your own crafty bits!! I wish i was as talented as you, i'm going to try some of your ideas out this Christmas, and who knows, by NEXT Christmas, i might actually be good enough to give them to loved ones as presents. Home made things are always so much nicer!

    Hannah x
    www.theroxyloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute. I probably will never make one but I like the way they look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I've been wanting to make this! Thanks so much for the directions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. soo nise work keep on girl =D <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me. one piece bikini swimsuit uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for comment!
Sprinkleofglitter xxx

 photo newer.jpg  photo older.jpg  photo homebot.jpg